Other means of serving defendant who refuses certified mail from court

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Other means of serving defendant who refuses certified mail from court

Involved in a MVC where other driver at fault according to officer on scene even thought he did not state that in PD report will subpoena. Other driver states on scene he veered back into my lane stated on PD report. Their insurer declined payment of my damage $1,000 saying no negligence on part of their driver. Started suit but court states letter non-deliverable. Driver’s insurer is listed at present address served. Researched and states person does not have to accept letter. Researched person and appears they have a business near by and will send new court letter there. If rejected there also, how can I pursue this if they don’t accept letter?

Asked on September 26, 2017 under Accident Law, New Jersey


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You should have a process server serve the defendant with your summons and complaint (complaint is the lawsuit).
You can find process servers online or in the Yellow Pages listed under attorney services. Also, have the process server file the proof of service with the court.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption