Other driver ran a red light. Hit my car. I didn’t have insurance. What are my rights?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Other driver ran a red light. Hit my car. I didn’t have insurance. What are my rights?

I was driving with my 18 year old son in the passenger seat. A woman ran a red light and slammed into my car and totaled it. My car already has a salvaged title. The woman at fault was sighted. There are 2 witnesses.

Asked on September 1, 2017 under Accident Law, Utah


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Since you mentioned no injuries, I assume there weren't any. In that case, if the accident was property damage only, you can file a property damage claim with your insurer if you have uninsured motorist coverage. If not, then you can sue the at-fault party for negligence. Depending on the amount that you sue for, it may be possible to file the lawsuit in small claims court. Upon prevailing in the case, you can recover the cost of repairs to the vehicle and court costs. A court judgment against the at-fault party can be enforced with a wage garnishment. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption