Other driver hit us. No serious injury. Both parties insured by state farm. Do i need a lawyer?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Other driver hit us. No serious injury. Both parties insured by state farm. Do i need a lawyer?

Other driver went through red light and hit us. Other driver and I have same
insurance company state farm. Do I need to get a lawyer or can I trust state
farm to be fair.?

Asked on December 8, 2016 under Accident Law, Maryland


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

The insurance company cannot be trusted to be "fair"because it wants to pay as little as possible.
If you were injured in the accident, you should be represented by a personal injury.
If you were not injured and your case is property damage only, most attorneys won't take the case.  You can negotiate with the insurance company to try to settle the property damage claim. 
If you are dissatisfied with property damage (cost of repairs to your car) settlement offers, reject the settlement offers and sue the at-fault party for negligence. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption