Oregon laws on 17 year old dating 18 year old

UPDATED: Dec 20, 2018

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 20, 2018Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Oregon laws on 17 year old dating 18 year old

As a parent, can I get in trouble for letting my
17 year old be in a relationship with an 18 year
old.. can I get in trouble for letting her spend
the night st his house??

Asked on December 20, 2018 under Criminal Law, Oregon


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

There is no liability to you if they engage in sexual relations: she is past your state's age of consent, and so may freely decide if, when, and with whom to engage in sexual relations with.
Arguably, if you have reason to know that he or his family is dangerous in some way--drug users; members of a criminal gang or wanted felons; members of some dangerous cult; etc.--you could be guilty of child endangerment if your daughter is not emancipated; umntil she is emancipated (either by legal action or by turning 18) you are responsible for keeping her safe.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption