How do I have a lien released ifI received an order of default against the creditor?

UPDATED: Feb 12, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 12, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I have a lien released ifI received an order of default against the creditor?

I am representing myself in a case involving a debt that has gone past the statute of limitations for collection. There has been a lien placed against me as a result of this. I have received a signed order for default because the creditor has not responded at any time, nor has shown up at the hearing. Can I use this order to have the lien released?

Asked on February 12, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Florida


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If what you are saying that the creditor has been unable to obtain a judgment against you and the lawsuit has been dismissed by the court, then what you do is get an order from the court stating that the lien against you has been released and that the creditor is required to release the lien within so many days after notice of the order.

Serve the notice of the order that I suggest you obtain on the creditor assuming the court issues it.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption