What are my options regarding a client unwilling to pay their invoiced bills?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are my options regarding a client unwilling to pay their invoiced bills?

I am an independent consultant with a fictitious name. My customer is a law firm in another state. About 4 months ago, they were having issues with their e-mail system and one of the databases became corrupted. I ended up invoicing close to 13k to get them back up and running. However, now they are saying that they do not want to pay because of how much it cost and that they think it took me too long to get everything restored. What options do I have in getting this matter resolved and what should I expect to pay for something like this? Also, if it went to court would I be able to get them to reimburse any of the fee’s I had to pay to recover the amount due?

Asked on July 7, 2016 under Business Law, Missouri


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

You can sue the law firm for breach of contract/account stated. 
Your damages (monetary compensation you are seeking in your lawsuit) would be the amount you are owed plus interest. You can recover court costs if you prevail in the case. Court costs would include the court filing fee and process server fee.
The total you will pay for the case is unknown because it depends on what attorneys in your area charge.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption