What will happen if I got a $1,000 judgment lien on my house?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What will happen if I got a $1,000 judgment lien on my house?

I recently got hit with a judgement lien on home because of unsecured credit card debt. Can the creditor go through court and take possession of my home if the debt is only $1,000 -$2,000. Also, can they force a sell if there is another lien becomes present? Do I have any options other than bankruptcy?

Asked on May 4, 2017 under Real Estate Law, Kentucky


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

For a sum this small, it is highly unlikely that this creditor will do more than it already has. Typically, in this type of situation, the lein will remain until you either attempt to refinance your home or sell it. At such time, you will need to pay the it off. That having been said, you could wait until the lien expires. In KY, a judgment lien will remain attached to a debtor's property for 15 years.  

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption