what are my options if my OPT was denied and my graduation is pending?

UPDATED: Aug 19, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 19, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

what are my options if my OPT was denied and my graduation is pending?

I am a university student. I had applied for the OPT but it got denied this month due to the fact that my DSO’s recommondation was older than 30 days and my graduation requirement is still pending (which my DSO and I thought I could complete during my OPT period). Now what are my options to finish my graduation? Should I file an MTR? How can at least I can finish my graduation?

Asked on August 19, 2012 under Immigration Law, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If you are not deemed qualified for graduation due to the issues that you have I suggest the following:

1. have a face to face meeting with your counselor at school about the issues;

2. have a face to face meeting with your dean of students at school.

What you have written about is not a legal issue. It is an administrative matter.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption