What to do if an online retailer changed the price on an item after I ordered it?

UPDATED: Jul 2, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 2, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if an online retailer changed the price on an item after I ordered it?

I placed an order online for a swimsuit and received an order confirmation. The next day I received an e-mail stating that the price listed on the website was incorrect and they need to charge me an additional $60. Are they legally required to honor the initial price?

Asked on July 2, 2012 under General Practice, New York


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If you received an order confirmation number from the vendor of the swimsuit that you have written about for a set advertised price, then you are entitled to purchase that item at the agreed upon price. The vendor is not legally allowed to change the price after the fact.

The vendor is not entitled to the additional $60.00 it now wants. I would write the vendor stating the agreed upon sales price and expect performance of the deal within a reasonable time period.

If the vendor refuses to comply, your recourse would be small claims court.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption