What do we do if one of the repairs that was supposed to be completed by the seller of our new home was not completed?

UPDATED: Feb 9, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 9, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What do we do if one of the repairs that was supposed to be completed by the seller of our new home was not completed?

It was listed in our inspection and was to be completed prior to move in. What do we do now?

Asked on February 9, 2012 under Real Estate Law, California


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

You can sue the seller for breach of contract for failure to make the agreed upon repair.  If the item to be repaired is major, this is a material breach of the contract, which means it goes to the basis of the bargain or the heart of the contract.  Your remedy would be damages (monetary compensation) or you could seek rescission of the contract and restitution of payments you have made.  This is only if it is a material breach of the contract.  If it is a minor breach of the contract, (one that does not go to the heart of the contract or the basis of the bargain) you could still get damages, but you would not be able to pursue the alternate remedy of rescission and restitution.

Your damages whether it is a material or minor breach would be the cost of completion of the repairs.  You will need to mitigate (minimize) damages.  For example, if you hire some other company to make the repairs, that entity's fees would have to be comparable to other entities in the area making that type of repair.  If you were to select the most expensive entity you could find to make the repairs, your damages would be reduced accordingly.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption