If 1 of our vendors recently sent us invoices for “price corrections” on invoices that had been paid months ago, are we obligated to pay them?

UPDATED: Aug 15, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 15, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If 1 of our vendors recently sent us invoices for “price corrections” on invoices that had been paid months ago, are we obligated to pay them?

We weren’t notified of an issue prior to receiving these.

Asked on August 15, 2012 under Business Law, Missouri


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If the prices for those items or services had been posted or otherwise available to you at the time you placed the order--such as on an order form; on a website; in a quote or proposal; etc.--then if they accidently billed you less than they were supposed to, they could correct those prices now. A billing error does not bind them to a lower price, if you'd had notice of the correct price. Or if you would have been eligible for the lower price if you did something which in fact you turned out to have not done (e.g. they were volume discounts--but you didn't order the volume you'd indicated you would) they could correct the prices.

But if you were charged what was the correct price at the time, they may not now decide they should charge you more.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption