If one of my employees is a communist, can I fire him without getting sued?

UPDATED: Sep 7, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If one of my employees is a communist, can I fire him without getting sued?

I don’t like his stupid comments about our rich customers.

Asked on September 7, 2011 under Employment Labor Law, New York


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Assuming you are not writing from some government agency--or possibly some instition or entity which is heavily government funded (like many universities, for example)--you should be able to fire this person so long as he does not have an employment contract. (If he does have a contract, you may only fire him in accordance with its terms.)

That's because:

1) While many things are protected by anti-discrimination law, such as race, religion, age over 40, national origin, sex, disability, genetic characteristics, etc., political opinions are not one of them.

2) If you are private sector, the First Amendment does not apply to you.

3) If the person has no contract, he's an employee at will and may be fired for any reason which is not illegal discrimination (see 1, above) or retaliation for filing a protected claim (e.g. FMLA, worker's compensation).


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption