If a judgement is vacated, can I get the money back that was withdrawn from my bank account which is still frozen ?

UPDATED: Apr 11, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If a judgement is vacated, can I get the money back that was withdrawn from my bank account which is still frozen ?

My bank account was frozen. I contacted my bank; a debt collection firm (from which I never recieved any notices or summons as I moved) had taken legal action against me. I explained that I wouldl pay with a reasonable payment plan, however, they refused to set anything up and wanted my paystubs; they also wanted to know how much wa in my bank account. I went to court where there was a case against me and filed a “show cause” to vacate the judgement against me. The judge approved a court date which is next week. In my plea and with talking to the firm I never argued not paying, just setting up a plan.

Asked on April 11, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, New York


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If you have the judgment that was entered against you vacated, all money that was taken under the judgment through the levy process by the plaintiff who has sued you needs to be immediately returned to you for the simple fact that without a judgment in place, the levy on your bank account was invalid.

Since you owe some money to the creditor, I suggest that you enter into a written agreement as to the amount you actually owe and set of a monthly installment payment plan where the agreement states no levies or wage garnishments on you so long as you are current on your payments. Possibly some of the money levied upon can be used to pay down the amount owed without the need for the money being returned to you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption