On what grounds can I divorce my husband?

UPDATED: Oct 25, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 25, 2010Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

On what grounds can I divorce my husband?

My husband stays occasionally stays out all night without me knowing his where abouts, he doesn’t answer his cell phone and he doesn’t contribute financially to the marriage. The financial burdens rest on me. In GA.

Asked on October 25, 2010 under Family Law, Georgia


Rob MacKenna / The MacKenna Law Firm

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

That is correct.  In Georgia the only requirement to obtain a divorce is your testimony that the marriage is "irretrievably broken."  There are other grounds, but they are rarely invoked and then only for specific reasons.  You should consult an attorney in your area to find out of any of them would be appropriate.

M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

I am sorry for your situation.  In Georgia there are 13 grounds for divorce.  One is known as a "no-fault" ground for divorce and is that the marriage is "irretrievably broken."  The other grounds are fault based grounds.  To obtain a divorce on one of the 12 fault grounds, one must prove that there was some wrongdoing by one of the parties to the marriage. They are as follows

Adultery:  Adultery in Georgia includes heterosexual and homosexual relations between one spouse and another individual. Desertion. A divorce may be granted on the grounds that a person has deserted his or her spouse willfully for at least one year.

Other fault grounds include mental or physical abuse, marriage between persons who are too closely related, mental incapacity at the time of marriage, impotency at the time of marriage, force or fraud in obtaining the marriage, pregnancy of the wife unknown to the husband at the time of the marriage, conviction and imprisonment for certain crimes, habitual intoxication or drug addiction and mental illness.

The best person to give you advice is an attorney in your area.  Good luck.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption