If I’m on title to a home, can I purchase it as a short sale?

UPDATED: Jun 26, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 26, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I’m on title to a home, can I purchase it as a short sale?

My boyfriend and myself are both on title to a home we have. I am the only one on the mortgage. We currently do not reside in this home and have listed the property as a short sale. Could my boyfriend purchase the house in his name only if he is currently on title? We would not want to refinance due to the home being severely upside down and no programs are available for non-owner occupied negative equity properties.

Asked on June 26, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

No, you cannot do this--if you're on the title, you're an owner, and an owner can't buy from himself. (The mortgage is the loan, not ownership.) Moreover, the bank would never agree to this, since having one owner "sell" short to the other owner would be viewed by them as an attempt to defraud the bank by buying the property for less than its worth and eliminating the mortgage without paying it in full. They would think that if your boyfriend (who is on the title, and stands to lose his interest if the home is foreclosed) has the resources to "buy" the home, he has the resources to help pay the mortgage.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption