If my criminal summons lists the wrong date, is that reason enough to drop the charges?

UPDATED: Jan 27, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 27, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my criminal summons lists the wrong date, is that reason enough to drop the charges?

My house was raided on 09/11; my summons date says 0/04.

Asked on January 27, 2011 under Criminal Law, Washington


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

Unfortunately, no. Or rather: it's not impossible that the state may choose to voluntarily dismiss this criminal complaint and refile a new one with the same substance but correct dates, but if they do that, it will at best win you some extra time. It's more likely they won't even do that, but simply in one fashon or another correct what is obviously a typo (after all, there is no month "0"). Simple clerical errors do not result in criminal prosecution (or, for that matter, a civil lawsuit) being dismissed or dropped permanently; again, at best, it usually just results in a bit of extra time while the paperwork is corrected and refiled and reserved. So no, this will not result in your charges being dropped.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption