On a do it yourself divorce

UPDATED: Jun 10, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 10, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

On a do it yourself divorce

what is the next step after you’ve turned in the acknowledgement signed & notarized & after the 31 day wait? What happens next. I don’t know what I’m supposed to do & the clerks office won’t help me . There are no children & no monies or property to be divided. I am the petitioner the clerk told me after 31 days I have to come back to the office to file some other kind of paperwork but she would not tell me what… PLEASE HELP I REALLY CANNOT AFFORD AN ATTORNEY. THank You

Asked on June 10, 2009 under Family Law, Georgia


Terri Brown / Terri L. Brown, LLC

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

First question - has the other party been properly served?  If so, and it has been at least 30 days after they were served, then you file a Rule NISI, requsting that the court set it down for hearing. 

If the divorce is uncontested, in some counties, you don't even need a form to do this, just contact the calendar clerk and ask to have it put on the uncontested calendar.

If it is contested, you may need to seek the assistance of a mediator because several GA counties are now requiring mediation before the judge will set it for a final hearing.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption