What is a motel’s liability for negligence that resulted in the loss of my business equipment?

UPDATED: Sep 12, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 12, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What is a motel’s liability for negligence that resulted in the loss of my business equipment?

Last week, all my camera equipment ($10K+) was stolen from a motel. I checked into my room and when I came back I found out that the clerk had made a mistake and given away my room; all my equipment was gone. I immediately filed a police report the police interrogated the man who was in the room that had been mine, searched his car didn’t find my equipment. I’m requesting the replacement value for all of my stolen camera equipment and gear listed on the police report since I have weddings and portrait sessions for the next few weeks and reimbursement for all the additional charges and fees associated with renting additional new equipment to take care of my current clients until I can replace all my equipment. What kind of lawyer do I need? I live my wedding photography business is based in in one state but the equipment was stolen fwhile in another photographing 2 destination weddings. Where do I file a claim?

Asked on September 12, 2012 under Business Law, New Jersey


John Ducey / Law Offices of John G. Ducey,PC

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

A general practice attorney or litigation attorney is what you need.  Ask the motel for their insurance information and that is where you put your claim into.  If you eventully need to sue it will have to be in the state where the motel is.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption