What are my rights if 2 1/2 months ago I ordered new windows for my home and paid 1/2 down and still don’t have them?

UPDATED: Jun 14, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 14, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are my rights if 2 1/2 months ago I ordered new windows for my home and paid 1/2 down and still don’t have them?

We were told 6-8 weeks for delivery. Within 3 days they had someone come to measure. We never heard anything since and assumed all was on track. After 8 weeks, we called the salesman 4 times with no call back. We then called the office and were told the windows were never ordered as there would be a problem with the installation and it would cost more than anticipated. When I asked for my deposit back they offered to renegotiate the contract with the extra cost of installation. I told them no, I may have been willing at the beginning but not after 8 weeks. After 10 days, I still don’t have my deposit back. Would like them to pay for another company to order from.

Asked on June 14, 2015 under General Practice, New York


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

You can sue them for breach of contract (not providing what they agreed to provide and for which you placed a deposit) in order to recover your deposit; you are unlikely to be able to get them to pay for windows from someone else unless you can show due to the delay, you suffered some additional economic harm (e.g. windows went up sharply in price); normally, in cases like this, your recourse is to get your money back. If the amount falls under the maximum limit of local small claims court, you may be able to sue in small claims to save the cost of an attorney.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption