What can I do if on the 2nd day of work I was fired and not told why?

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do if on the 2nd day of work I was fired and not told why?

They broke a written contract and spoke to my mother twice of my location and reason for firing. They won’t pay me or explain why I was fires to me. They won’t speak to me. Do I have a case?

Asked on August 7, 2015 under Employment Labor Law, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

If they violated a written employment contract, then you would have a case: you can sue them for breach of contract. (Without a written employment contract, you would have been an "employee at will," and an employee at will may be fired at any time--even the 2nd day of work--for any reason.)

And if you not paid for work you performed, whether you have a written contract or not, you may sue to recover that money. Based on what you write, you therefore do seem to have a case and a lawsuit may be worthwhile.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption