How long after an incident can you sue for medical malpractice?

UPDATED: Sep 12, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 12, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How long after an incident can you sue for medical malpractice?

About 10 years ago I was a victim of a violent crime. The doctor didn’t remove the bullet from my neck because I was indigent. Now my neck is giving me problems and there are sharp pains that come from the area where the bullet sits. I was shot during an altercation with 2 men and the bullet tore up my jaw and throat which needed immediate surgery. I have scars on my stomach where I had to have a feeding tube installed and the scar on my neck from the hole that was cut so I could breathe. The front part of my jaw was blown away and there is steel in it’s place to hold my front bottom teeth in place. Do I have a case dealing with this situation after all this time about the bullet left there.

Asked on September 12, 2011 under Malpractice Law, Georgia


L.P., Member, Pennsylvania and New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption