Oklahoma Wage Garnishment: Oklahoma Child Support Garnishment

Get Legal Help Today

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Jul 15, 2021

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

After divorce and custody proceedings have concluded and a child custody and support situation has been arranged, an order for an Oklahoma income assignment is served on the employer of the noncustodial (paying) parent. The amount is deducted from the employee’s paycheck and forwarded through the Oklahoma Provider website. Because Oklahoma follows the Uniform Interstate Family Support Act, income withholding orders from agencies in other states must be honored by the employer. Further, the employer must follow Oklahoma’s strict wage garnishment guidelines when deducting and remitting payment. 

Oklahoma Child Support Collection

An order is issued for child support collections after the representative of the person entitled to payment, or an agency, files with an Oklahoma court. This order is binding on the noncustodial (paying) parent and their employer. Employers must withhold income until the issuing court notifies them to stop income withholding.

Along with general monetary support, the order may provide for daycare and healthcare expenses for the child as well as alimony payments. 

Who Withholds the Money

Once an order is issued, it is sent by certified mail to the noncustodial parent’s employer on a form prescribed by the Secretary of the United States Department of Health and Human Services. The employer is bound to enforce wage garnishment on the employee until the order is satisfied, or until the employee no longer works for the employer. An administrator of other income (such as a pension or other retirement fund, workers’ compensation, or third party sick pay insurance) can also be served with an order for support. 

When is Money Withheld 

Withholding from the employee’s paycheck must begin the first pay period occurring after receipt of the order/notice to withhold. The withheld pay must be forwarded within seven days of the employee’s payday to the Oklahoma Centralized Support Registry through the Oklahoma Provider website. The employer can pay by check or by Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT). Oklahoma accepts EFT payment in the Cash Concentration and Disbursement (CCD+) format.

If the order does not state an amount to withhold for each payday, the employer should multiply the monthly amount by twelve, and divide by the number of paydays in a year.

All child support payments should be made. If the support order was served by the representative of the person entitled to payment or by any other third party, the employer should provide the Support Registry with a copy of the order. The Support Registry will then send a notice to the employer to redirect payment to the Registry, and may require the employer to give them additional information about the recipient.

If the employer receives an order for an employee who no longer works for them or to whom they do not owe any money, the employer must notify the issuing court or agency in writing within 10 days of the order. If the employer does not, the employer can be held liable for the total amount not withheld, plus fines.

Out-of-State Orders 

All Oklahoma employers are required to honor an income-withholding order/notice for child support from any other state since Oklahoma follows the provisions of the federal Uniform Interstate Family Support Act (UIFSA).

The employer is required to follow the withholding laws of the other state to determine the amount to withhold, the duration of the order, and where to remit payment. However, the employer follows the withholding law of the state where the employee works with regard to determining maximum withholding amounts, disposable earnings, employer fees, allocation of multiple orders, employee termination, and when to begin and remit withholding.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption