Oklahoma Car Accident Law, Lawyers and Attorneys

Get Legal Help Today

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Jul 14, 2021

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Car accidents are an unfortunate fact of life. They can happen to anyone, in every state across the nation. Oklahoma is certainly no exception: in 2008, over 72,000 traffic accidents occurred in the state. If you’ve been in a car accident and you’re looking for help, you’ll find the resources you need right here. Of course, if the accident just happened, and you or someone else is injured, the first thing you should do is call 911 immediately. The information available here on FreeAdvice.com deals with assessing your rights and responsibilities after the accident, but it will be helpful only after you’ve taken care of your immediate health needs. Our car accident articles cover issues ranging from claims and fault data, to liability issues and the context behind structured settlements. You’ll also find rules, laws and other information specific to the state of Oklahoma, as well as links to Oklahoma personal injury attorneys who can evaluate your claim and offer advice on the best course of action for you.

Oklahoma Car Accident Articles:

How an Auto Accident Insurance Claim Works
What is Your Car Accident Injury Claim Worth
Who is at Fault?
Car Insurance and Auto Accidents: Are You Covered?
What You Can Expect to Recover for Property Damage in Auto Accident Cases
Auto Accidents: Options if You’re at an Impasse with the Insurance Adjuster
Car Accidents Involving Government-Owned Vehicles and Government Workers
Structured Settlements
Do I Need to Contact an Attorney After a Car Accident

Oklahoma Car Accident Lawyers:

Find an experienced Oklahoma Car Accident Attorney at AttorneyPages.com

Article:How a Personal Injury Lawyer Can Help

Special Rules for Oklahoma Car Accidents:

Oklahoma Fault: Proportional Comparative Fault @ 50%

Oklahoma Car Insurance Requirements/Limits: Bodily Injury & Property Damage Liability. The minimum level required by law is:
$25,000 per person for bodily injury
$50,000 per accident for bodily injury
$25,000 per accident for property
Proof of this liability insurance must be kept available in the vehicle at all times, including when registering a vehicle, renewing license plates, or anytime a police officer or the Department of Revenue asks you to show proof of insurance.

Oklahoma Small Claims Limits: $6,000

Oklahoma Personal Injury Statute of Limitations: 2 years

Oklahoma Auto Accidents Involving Government Vehicles: In most cases, government entities receive protection from private lawsuits under a legal doctrine known as “government immunity” or “sovereign immunity.” This doctrine doesn’t necessarily provide complete protection for the government, though. It may just impose extra notice requirements on you before filing suit. For more information on this type of government protection, follow this link to the FreeAdvice.com article on vehicle accident claims against government entities. Keep in mind that, depending on which government entity, there are frequently special requirements for how long you have to notify them of your claim. See below for some Oklahoma specific details:

Requirements for Filing Against Government Entities:

1) For filing against the Federal Government: Use Standard Form 95 and follow the instructions on the back page. The form must be completed and submitted to the appropriate agency within two years after the claim accrues.

2) For filing against the State of Oklahoma: For the purposes of the Oklahoma accident reporting system, all accidents involving at least one motor vehicle in which injuries or fatalities occur, and/or in which at least $1,000 of property damage appears to have occurred, must be reported to the Office of Accident Records by a qualified law enforcement official. To the extent that a law enforcement officer is not present, the driver involved in such an accident must give notice to the nearest law enforcement officer who has jurisdiction, immediately, by the quickest means of communication possible, and in any case within 5 days. Contact your a qualified Oklahoma car accident attorney for a free case evaluation.

3) For filing against an Oklahoma county or municipality: The requirements vary with the entity, so you’ll have to contact the specific county or agencies involved. See Oklahoma Personal Injury Venue below for more information on where and how to file a claim. See this directory for other public entities in Oklahoma.

In dealing with accidents involving government entities and workers, be aware that there are always special notices to be filed against the appropriate government unit responsible, whether in risk management, attorney general’s offices, or local agencies, and the time periods are limited in all cases (as little as 30-180 days). Accident claims involving the government can be complicated. Any mistakes in filing or failing to file on time could result in losing your ability to recover for your damages and injuries. Consult an experienced attorney right away to preserve your rights. Also see Car Accidents Involving Government-Owned Vehicles and Government Workers.

Oklahoma Personal Injury Venue (Where to File Your Lawsuit): In the municipal or justice court located where the defendant (the person you are suing) lives or does business. Alternatively, you might consider filing in a court located where the accident occurred. If you are filing a claim against a government agency and are unsure of which agency is responsible, the most prudent course is to file a separate claim against each agency, or contact a Oklahoma auto accident attorney.’

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption