If the police found my marijuana pipe and I was given a ticket for a felony, what are my chances of this being reduced to a misdemeanor?

UPDATED: Jan 13, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 13, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If the police found my marijuana pipe and I was given a ticket for a felony, what are my chances of this being reduced to a misdemeanor?

Last night my roommate’s parents found my pipe for smoking marijuana and called the police. I was not formally arrested and taken to jail but I received an arrest “ticket” and I have a court date in 2 months. Unfortunately, in my state this is considered a felony. However, I am 18, in college, and I have no priors of any sort. Is there any possibility of getting placed into a diversion program? Will this stay on my record forever because I am an adult? Also, I have a very good academic standing and I want to attend law school when I graduate and I am afraid this will effect my admission to a good law

Asked on January 13, 2014 under Criminal Law, Arizona


Stan Helinski / McKinley Law Group

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

They have unfortunately been doing this or some time now since marijuana become a civil infraction.  You should speak with a lawyer.  You need to bring a motion in the trial court to dismiss the matter pursuant to a case titled "Dibenedetto." 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption