Ohio Name Change

Get Legal Help Today

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Sep 24, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Would you like to change your name in Ohio? Changing your name in Ohio is fairly easy to do, and you can probably accomplish this legal task on your own with just a little information to get you started. Below is the information you will need, from forms to fees to courts, to start you off in the right direction.

What forms are required for an Ohio name change?

The following forms are required to change your name in Ohio:

  • Application for Change of Name of Adult (Form 21.0)
  • Judgment Entry-Change of Name of Adult (Form 21.1)
  • Notice of Hearing on Change of Name (Form 21.5)

These forms can be found on the Ohio Probate Courts website.

Where do I file the forms for a name change in Ohio?

The completed forms must be filed with the probate court clerk of the county where you currently live.

Do I need to notarize the forms?


Is there a filing fee in Ohio for a name change?

Yes. There should be a filing fee. Check with your local probate court for more details. The court will waive the fee if you can make a sufficient showing of financial hardship.

Do I need to schedule a court hearing?

Yes. The clerk will give you a date for your court hearing when you file your Application.

Do I need to publish something in a local newspaper?

Yes. You must publish notice of your hearing in a local newspaper. Check with your local probate court clerk to determine which paper and when it should be published.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption