Officiant made mistake on marriage license and corrected it

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Officiant made mistake on marriage license and corrected it

My partner and I were married on 10/28. Our officiant is a good friend of ours who got ordained specifically to perform our ceremony. She was very nervous and accidentally wrote 09/28 on the license which was the day we applied for it. She then wrote over it to show the correct month; she did not cross it out. You can see that it was meant to be 10/28. Will the county clerk accept it as is?

Asked on October 29, 2016 under Family Law, Texas


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

The clerk will accept it.  If the clerk is hesitant, the worst they will ask the officient to do is simply redo the form. The typo does not affect the validity of your marriage.  The date on the form will only be significant if you and he later divorce and there is a dispute over what property was obtained during the marriage or before the marriage.  If the date is incorrect on the license, it could create some confusion regarding the character of certain property.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption