Obtaining health insurance (with a pre-existing condition) after working abroad & having national health insurance in Japan

UPDATED: May 18, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 18, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Obtaining health insurance (with a pre-existing condition) after working abroad & having national health insurance in Japan

My son, with a pre-existing condition, is currently in Japan and has Japan’s Nat’l Health Insurance coverage. When he returns to the US in 1 yr. will his new employer’s health insurance consider the foreign coverage as continuing care? Does he need to maintain some type of health insurance in the US until then?

Asked on May 18, 2009 under Insurance Law, Maryland


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

Federal law generally requires that if there is no break in coverage the new employer's group health carrier can not exclude pre-existing conditions that had been covered under a former group health policy. I do not believe the law requires the same treatment for foreign health plans.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption