What is the process to obtain a divorce after 10 years of not being together?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What is the process to obtain a divorce after 10 years of not being together?

I have full custody of our kids. Their father can’t be found, doesn’t pay child

support and has no visitation. His last known address is states away.

Asked on September 22, 2018 under Family Law, Colorado


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

You are going to need legal help here.  When you say "I have full custody of our kids" do you mean that there is a legal document that says that?  A court order perhaps?  That would be great because it would save a lot of time.  You will have to have dovorce papers prepared and served upon your ex at his mast known address.  They need to be personally served so if you can not do that you are going to have to make an application to the court for substituted service or publication, depending on how the court wishes.  I think publication is likely.  Are there assets to divide?  That could get tricky depending on the law.  Seek help.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption