Obligations of trustee

UPDATED: Sep 20, 2019

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 20, 2019Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Obligations of trustee

My sister who is trustee of our parents estate will not show other family members
paperwork work such as bank statements,life insurance policy,and closing papers
for property that was sold

Asked on September 20, 2019 under Estate Planning, Utah


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Assuming you are beneficiaries, or at least reasonably believe (i.e. based on being children of the deceased) that  you are beneficiaries of the estate, you can bring a legal action (lawsuit) commonly called an action "for an accounting." This kind of action is brought in what is traditionally called "chancery" court (that part of state court for your county which deals with, among other things, "fiduciaries," or those persons who manage or control money or assets belonging to or which will go to other people, for those other persons' benefit). In this kind of legal action, the court is asked to do what the description of the legal action suggests: make the fiduciary (and trustees are fiduciaries) "account for" her management of the (in this case) trust--showing that she is following the instructions in the documents (e.g. a will), being loyal to the beneficiaries' interests, exercising reasonmable care, and not diverting to herself or for benefit anything to which she is not entitled. This kind of legal action can be procedurally and legally complex, so you are advised to retain an attorney for it; if you decide to do it yourself, review the rules of court and contact the clerk's office for the chancery court.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption