Notification of exhaustion of benefits

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Notification of exhaustion of benefits

I was involved in a car accident 7 months ago. I have been seeing a chiropractor who called me a few weeks ago to tell me that my auto insurance benefits had expired 9 visits ago and so is now attempting to charge me for the 9 visits. Is this bill my responsibility legally or is this something they should have verified before we got to 9 visits past my available benefits?

Asked on November 28, 2016 under Personal Injury, Pennsylvania


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

It is your responsibility: the law makes it the responsibilty of the person being treated to--
1) Be on top of his/her insurance benefits and know what they are, what has been used, and how much is left--no one else needs to do this for you; and
2) To pay whatever portion or amount of treatment costs are not paid by your insurance coverage. 
So you will have to pay this, and could be sued if you do not.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption