What to do about a “Notification of Case Escalation” regarding a copyright infringement?

UPDATED: Feb 17, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do about a “Notification of Case Escalation” regarding a copyright infringement?

I received the notification from a company notifying me of copyright infringements (which was not certified). The letter states that they sent 2other letters of cease and desist which is false. They want payment of $842.40 for a small picture that I got on-linefor my website. This picture is so generic it’s not funny. They said I must respond or pay within 2 days. Where I can can get legal help about this matter.

Asked on February 17, 2012 under Business Law, Texas


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

From what you have written, it seems that some third party is trying to strong arm you over small picture for $842.40. How is that calculated? How do you know that the company contacting you has rights to the picture that it has written you about?

If you can afford an attorney, I suggest that you consult with a business attorney practicing copyright law. If you cannot afford a lawyer, see if your county has legal aid programs to assist.

My sentiment is that if the claim against you had some teeth, you would have received a letter from a lawyer and there would be no mention of such a small dollar amount. Your question sounds as though there is a "scam" involved against you. You might wish to consult with your county's district attorney's office about the letter you received.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption