Notification and Legal Action Differences

UPDATED: May 14, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 14, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Notification and Legal Action Differences

We received a letter about a patent infringement, including a mention about FRE 408. They also filed with the Arizona court. Does this mean that the litigation process has begun or is it just a warning? Within the letter they mentioned that this is just a warning, but why would they file with the courts?

Asked on May 14, 2009 under Business Law, California


J.M.A., Member in Good Standing of the Connecticut Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

The question is whether you were served in hand by a marshal? Have you looked up the case on line or calld the court?  you may not have been served so there is not lawsuit actually pending.  This letter may be a warning as you suspect or the case may be pending.  What you need to dois confirm if the case is pending.  Patent infringment cases are often complicate and expensive.  I would hire  a lawyer to make sure you are not surpised in court.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption