notice period

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

notice period

If I resign at a work place and I leave 3days before my notice period is over, do I forfeit my leave pay. leaves days owing to my. and do I get paid up until the last working day.or must the company still pay my leave

Asked on June 25, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Alaska


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

It is unclear what you mean by "leave pay": if the following does not answer your question, you should re-post it with additional detail. 
In your state, there is no obligation to pay employees out for unused paid time off, including vacation days, on termination of employment, unless the company has committed itself to do so in a written agreement, or in a employee manual or handbook that does not have any limitations or restrictions in it which prevent it from forming an enforceable agreement. So if there is no written promise to pay you for unused paid time off, they do not need to do so.
You must be paid up to and including for the last day you actually work. But your employer does not have to let you work through the entire period you gave as notice, but may treat your resignation as effective soon than that, including immediately when you give notice.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption