Notarized document splitting assets

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Notarized document splitting assets

We are looking to split assets without going to a mediator or attorney because we
dont’ care if we are legally divorced. What simple document can I use in case he
changes his mind and gets representation that will stick since he would be in
agreement with the way we are splitting the assets.

Asked on April 9, 2018 under Family Law, New Jersey


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

People think that notarization means much more than it does. Notarizing a document does not mean that it is official or binding; all it means is that a notary observed you sign, checked your ID, and verified that the people signing are who they claim to be. That's it--nothing more. A notarized agreement is not any more binding than a non-notarized one.
Consult with a lawyer: this is too important to try to on your own without expert help. I assume you would not try to set your own broken arm on your own, without a doctor--why do something that can affect your future without the assistance of someone who knows what they are doing?

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption