Not signing a reaffirmation agreement

UPDATED: May 28, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 28, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Not signing a reaffirmation agreement

In my bankruptcy many years ago, I did not sign a reaffirmation agreement on my late model mobile home, but continued to pay monthly notes as they came in. Now years later, we are wanting to move but have been unsuccessful in selling our home – Lenders will not lend money on used mobile/manufactured homes. What legally can we do to get out from under our note since the load was never reaffirmed? Can we draw up an agreement to settle with the mortgage company on an amount to buy the home out right?Please help!

Asked on May 28, 2009 under Bankruptcy Law, Texas


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

Can a creditor ask a debtor to reaffirm the debt?

Yes, this means that the creditor is asking that the debtor pay the debt anyway, even though it is eligible to be discharged in bankruptcy. A debtor may be willing to do this if there is a co-signer or guarantor of the debt (such as a family member, friend or employer) that the debtor does not wish to leave saddled with the debt. Also, a debtor may want to reaffirm a debt in order to avoid having a secured creditor take the collateral securing the debt. A creditor may also ask a debtor to reaffirm the debt before he (the creditor) will agree to do business with the debtor again. This only applies in Chapter 7 consumer bankruptcy. This will not usually happen in a business Chapter 7.

The decision to reaffirm a debt is voluntary; no law requires the debtor to do it. The debtor can also choose to pay a debt that has been discharged in bankruptcy without reaffirming the debt, which means that the lender has no legal rights to collect the debt. Reaffirmation agreements can't impose an undue burden on you or your dependents and must be in your best interest.

A debt is reaffirmed in an agreement filed with the court within 60 days after the first meeting of the creditors in the bankruptcy case, also called the 341 meeting. Once you sign a reaffirmation agreement you have 60 days or until the judge issues the discharge order in your bankruptcy case to cancel the agreement.

It is important to remember that a reaffirmed debt is not wiped out (discharged) in bankruptcy. Once your bankruptcy order is filed and the debt is reaffirmed, you must pay the debt. If you don't, the creditor can sue you for the balance owed or repossess the property in a secured debt.

(Reviewed 11.4.08)

(from the site on bankruptcy). Here is the link:


I would if I were you still consult with an attorney in your state to determine if this is the best route for you.  Try a  bankruptcy attorney at and check his or her record at the Texas State Bar.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption