Not showing up to testife!

UPDATED: Jun 8, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 8, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Not showing up to testife!

What is the standard punishment for not showing up to testife against someone in court. I may be ask to testife against my bother in a **** case. I have no info for him or against him. I have nothing at all to do with this. I have always been on the right side of the law and would like to stay that way.

Asked on June 8, 2009 under Criminal Law, Arkansas


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

Often, failing to appear in court, if you are served with a subpoena or something equivalent, is contempt of court, and you can be arrested and fined, and in some cases you can be held in jail until you agree to "purge the contempt" by testifying.  It's not a good idea, and it probably won't help your brother anyway.

Any reputable lawyer will advise you to appear as directed, take the stand, and answer the questions honestly.  If the truthful answer is, "I don't know," then that's what you say, and the same is true for "I don't remember" and "I'm not sure."

If you need more detailed advice, based on facts that you haven't included here, please see a lawyer -- someone independent of your brother's defense counsel.  One place to find an attorney is our website,

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption