Not legally separated but seperated and just sold the house and agreed to split profit yet refuses to pay out my share.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Not legally separated but seperated and just sold the house and agreed to split profit yet refuses to pay out my share.

I was hospitalized and couldnt attend closing, my spouse got my signature at the
hospital for the sale closing. She is holding my money and trying to control how I
spend it asking for receipts. I truly think she hopes I pass away and keep my

Asked on December 16, 2018 under Family Law, Michigan


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Unless you legally separate or divorce, there is nothing you can do: the law does not interfere in a married couple's internal financial arrangements while they are still married--only when the modify or end the marriage. Speak to a family law attorney about what is involved in a legal separation or divorce and what you may be entitled to.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption