What is my recourse regarding a traffic ticket?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What is my recourse regarding a traffic ticket?

I was pulled over on a local road while passing on a passing permitted road. After passing, I was pulled over almost immediately from another vehicle. The vehicle was unmarked and when the officer exited he was in a dress shirt with slacks and a gun holster. He did not identify himself. When he approached the vehicle he only

took my license, not my insurance or registration. He then told me that I would be issued a ticket in the mail. I’m not sure what I was charged with; I was never told what infraction I had committed.

Asked on June 13, 2019 under General Practice, Rhode Island


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

At present, you have no recourse, but also no need for recourse: you have not been issued any ticket. Obvously, if nothing is issued to you, you don't need to do anything. If a ticket is issued to you, then you may have grounds to challenge it depending on what you are charged with and whether the evidence suppports that--but that hasn't happened yet.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption