Not ethical music played at work

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Not ethical music played at work

Working at a call center and Supervisor is playing rap music with
sexual verbage in rap. I’ve asked to turn off the music with no
reply what is my legal rights

Asked on October 30, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Washington


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

This may be sexual harassment, if you are a woman--if that is the case, speak to his supervisers/managers and/or to HR. If after speaking with upper management or HR, nothing is done, that may be a a case of illegal workplace sexual harassment (it is not employer sexual harassment when another employee, even your line or direct manager does something, since the company may not be aware of the improper behavior--it is sexual harassment when the company is made aware of the transgression and refuses to act; the company becomes liable for its failure to correct a situation given the opportunity and knowledge/awareness to do so). If this happens--you tell HR or upper managment and they don't act--then contact the federal EEOC or your state's equal/civil rights agency to discuss filing a complaint.
If you are male and your male supervisor is playing music you simply find offensive, it would not be illegal sexual harassment--it may be unpleasant, the law does not guaranty you a pleasant workplace. Only certain specifically defined forms of harassment or discrimination are illegal, and this would not be one of them.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption