Non Payment of hours

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Non Payment of hours

About a week ago I was on the field conducting agency business, while conducting
and serving a client my car keys were stolen by the client unable to get back to
work without any keys.

MY employer only wants to pay me for three hours and not the other 5 hours. if
it wouldn’t have for the client stilling my keys I Could made to work what
should I DO

Asked on January 7, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

It's not actually a work-related issue, unfortunately. You were not working--you were delayed in transit for a problem which was not caused by or under the control of your employer. Your employer is not liable or responsible for a criminal act committed by another person, even a client, and does not need to pay you for the time you missed from work due to the theft. You could sue the client for all you lost time and other costs you incurred, plus press charges against the client.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption