non-legal separation for 8 yrs with (our 2 kids who live with me), what am i (mom) still entitled to?

UPDATED: Jun 2, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

non-legal separation for 8 yrs with (our 2 kids who live with me), what am i (mom) still entitled to?

I (mom) have been separatedfrom husband for 8 years, got married in 1996. We have 2 kids together and them and I have lived with my boyfriend and our kid since 2003. I signed and notarized “d” papers in August of 2007 and he (husband) has not done anything with them yet. What legal obligations do I have and what would I still be entitled to (in your opinion)? I take care of our kids, boyfriend helps to support them, husband rarely sends any money for thier upbringing. Need advice.

Asked on June 2, 2009 under Family Law, Illinois


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

You really need to talk to an experienced divorce lawyer in your area.  The divorce laws differ from one state to the next, and I don't practice in Illinois;  probably more importantly, all of the facts of your case matter, and it's impossible to get anywhere near enough information into a question like this, for a meaningful answer. A copy of the papers you signed two years ago, for example, would be the first thing your lawyer would want to see.  One place to look for a qualified attorney is our website,

I'd advise getting this taken care of soon.  Separated spouses have a way of creating problems that you don't even know about until it's too late to avoid a big headache.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption