Am I required to pay half of my ex-husband’s daycare costs while our daughter is supposed to be with him on vacation?

UPDATED: Sep 21, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 21, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Am I required to pay half of my ex-husband’s daycare costs while our daughter is supposed to be with him on vacation?

Or is this a cost he should be paying because this is occuring during his visitation time? My ex is in the military and lives in Japan with his wife and 2 other children. We live in the US. We have a court order that allows our daughter to travel with her father during spring break and Christmas for 2 weeks. Once he left with my daughter back to Japan, her father decided to inform me that he was going to place our daughter in daycare out there and he wanted me to pay half of the cost. Our daughter attends school here and has her own daycare out here with me. I was under the assumption that her 2 week vacation was going to be with him, not in a daycare. Our court order states that he is supposed to pay 50% of her daycare costs out here being that I have primary custody of our daughter.

Asked on September 21, 2012 under Family Law, California


Cameron Norris, Esq. / Law Office of Gary W. Norris

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Parents normally pay for the child care expenses incurred during their timeshare unless there is a court order otherwise.  Unless there is something in the order requiring you to pay part of his child care costs, you shouldn't pay him half the cost.

Best of luck.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption