What to do bout the violation of a non-compete agreement?

UPDATED: Jun 26, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do bout the violation of a non-compete agreement?

For the last 5 years I’ve been running a martial arts studio In my town and hired a friend to instruct with me. Knowing that I would be sharing many business details with him and hiS getting close to my clientele, I drafted a very simple statement on paper and had us both sign and date it. The document is titleD as a “Non Compete” and states that he “will not open or operate another martial arts studio that is within 25 miles of the current location within 2 years of his last date of employment”. His last day was a week ago and I found out he is opening a studio 10 miles away. Can I stop him?

Asked on June 26, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Massachusetts


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

You probably can stop him, though possibly not for the entire two years. Non-competition agreements are enforceable; when one is breached, the former employer can sue for either or both of monetary compensation (constituting compensation for a loss or potential loss of clients or revenue) and/or for a court order (injunction), directing the former employee to cease his competition. It's recommended that you seek both, so that if the court does not grant one for some reason, it may grant the other.

Courts will reduce--or "blue pencil"--non-competition agreements that they conclude are too long or too broad in geographic scope. It is likely that the geographic scope is accceptable, but most non-competiton agreements, except for former business owners who sell their businesses, are limited to one year at most. So the court may reduce the duration of the agreement.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption