How can I inherit if I’m my cousin’s only heir and she died without a Will?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How can I inherit if I’m my cousin’s only heir and she died without a Will?

My cousin passed away without a Will. She has 2 checking and 1 savings account; I am listed as beneficiary on them. She has a car and 2 cemetery plots. She chose to be cremated instead of buried. No husband and no children or other family. Does the car and cemetary plots go through probate? How do I get started?

Asked on May 22, 2016 under Estate Planning, Florida


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Since you are a beneficiary on the bank accounts, they are not subject to probate. As for the car and cemetray plots, since they will be of relatively minimal value value, your cousin's estate will probably qualify for an informal probate process, which is cheaper and quicker. There are 2 procedures that you need to consider: Summary Administration and Disposition Without Administration. Here is a link to a site that will explain further.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption