no police report in accident

UPDATED: Mar 16, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 16, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

no police report in accident

his car had a scratch mine had worse. No police report, he says my fault and I gave him my info but i didn’t get his. He wants 600 then 260, I think he is trying to scam me. He keeps calling asking for money. NO POLICE REPORT – so can he call the police 2 weeks later and get a report? There were no witnesses. Any help would be appreciated!! Thank you! He is causing me a lot of stress!

Asked on March 16, 2012 under Accident Law, Indiana


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

The other driver won't be getting a police report two weeks after the accident when there wasn't any police report.  There is only a police report of the accident if the police are there at the scene of the accident.  The police won't issue a report two weeks later based on someone's version of the accident.

It would be advisable to contact your insurance company and let your insurance company resolve it and determine who was at fault since there wasn't any police report.  If the other driver was at fault, you would have a property damage claim you could file with his insurance company.  If it turns out that you were at fault, the other driver can file a property damage claim with your insurance company.

If the other driver was at fault and did not have insurance, you can file an uninsured motorist claim with your insurance company if you have uninsured motorist coverage.  If the other driver was at fault, didn't have insurance and you didn't have uninsured motorist coverage, you will need to sue the other driver for negligence.  Your damages (the amount of compensation you are seeking in your lawsuit would be the cost of repairs to your car).  You may be able to file your lawsuit in Small Claims Court depending on the amount of damage to your car.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption