What can I do if I haven’t gotten my paycheck?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do if I haven’t gotten my paycheck?

I previously worked for a non-profit organization that was experiencing a gap in funding. There was a time when we did not get paid on time but late in a lump sum for 2 missed pay periods. My concern is, I recently left the organization two weeks ago and have not received my last paycheck or the pay checks proceeding those 3 paychecks total. I understand there was an issues with payroll prior to my leaving so what can I do to ensure I get my paycheck? I sent emails inquiring but have not gotten a response.

Asked on August 4, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Louisiana


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

You have clearly taken all unofficial steps that can be taken in such a sitiation to follow up on your unpaid wages. At this point, you can either take your former employer to small claims court and sue for all outstanding wages owed to you and/or file a wage claim with your state's department of labor. Depending on the amount in question, it may also be worth your while to consult diretly with an employment law attorney; sometimes receiving a letter on a lawyer's letterhead will spur an employer into action.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption