If there has been no heat 14 days and my has beenrental sold, can I deduct from next month’s rent even though it’s a new owner?

UPDATED: Feb 20, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 20, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If there has been no heat 14 days and my has beenrental sold, can I deduct from next month’s rent even though it’s a new owner?

The condo I rent sold; the old owner hasn’t fixed heat and the new management company took over past Friday. They say they are working on it. Am I allowed to proratenext month’s rent even though new owner and new management company says they are responsible only starting at the beginning of next month? 

Asked on February 20, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Nevada


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

In order to deduct any portion of your rent due to defective heat, you must actually pay to have the heating system repaired and then you deduct the costs of such from the next month's rent after you have given notice to you landlord of the problem.

From what you have written, it does not appear that you may legally deduct next month's rent due to lack of heat. However, I would speak with the landlord and the property management company as to a rental rebate due you for lack of adequate heat and the inconvenience caused.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption