What are my rights regarding no elevator for my disability?

UPDATED: Apr 6, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are my rights regarding no elevator for my disability?

I have an injury which prevents me from climbing stairs. This is a recent injury. I live on the 6th floor and our building management is disabling the elevator for 11 days for upgrades without providing an alternative for me to reach my apartment other than the stairs. Is this legal?

Asked on April 6, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Washington


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If you have a doctor's excuse requiring you to use an elevator and you cannot get to your rental for 11 days due to upgrades, I suggest that you consult with your landlord about your condition and see if he or she will pay for a motel pending the time period of the upgrades to the elevator.

Legally the landlord is not required to pay for such a motel in that your condition arose after you entered into your lease. It is important that the elevator is properly serviced and upgraded from a safety standpoint by the landlord for his or her tenants.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption