What to do about no due process for a write-up and a hostile work environment?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do about no due process for a write-up and a hostile work environment?

My teen daughter worked a short shift on Easter. Upon leaving she placed her cash drop of $183 in the safe. She failed to check to make sure it went down the shoot, her fault. She was called at home and told her deposit was not in the safe. She was not given any other information. She went in for her next shift and the manager said, ‘Where is my money?

Asked on March 28, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Colorado


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Your daughter's treatment is only actionable if her employer violated its own company policy or the terms of an employment contract or union agreement. Also, her treatment must not have constituted legally actionable discrimination. This means that her treatment was based on her race, religion, gender, disability, age (over 40) or, in some states, sexual orientation. Otherwise, she has no claim. Boorish and rude behavior, while unprofessional, is not illegal. The fact is that in an "at will" employment relationship a company can set the terms and conditions of the workplace much as it sees fit or deems appropriate.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption