NJ break lease – landlord wants me to pay broker fee

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

NJ break lease – landlord wants me to pay broker fee

So I need to break my lease. I know I am responsible to pay for the rent until
a new lessor is found, I am perfectly content with doing so. I’d continue to
use the place until someone is found place is on beach and nice place to go on
weekends. I plan on moving in with girlfriend permanently so I’d like to do
this quicker in order to save some money.

However, in requesting to break my lease early, my landlord is asking me to pay
his broker to find a new lessor and continue paying rent until new lessor is

I don’t think its justified for me to pay the broker and I can accept paying
rent until a new lessor is found. What are my options? Id rather just say
I’ll give him 2 months rent and move out immediately or work some negotiation.
He seems adamant upon sticking to me paying broker fee.

Asked on July 18, 2016 under Real Estate Law, New Jersey


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

You do not need to pay the landlord's broker fee unless the lease itself says that you do. You have to continue paying rent until the earlier of the unit being re-rented (and note: the landlord must make reasonable efforts to re-lease the premises) or the expiration of your current lease term. The landlord may, if you do not pay, apply your security deposit to any amounts you owe (i.e. he does not have to return it) and, if the deposit does not fully cover any amounts you owe, may sue you for the balance.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption